Friday, August 11, 2006

Puppets in a Play

It is almost quarter to 11 at night. As I write, besides the usual brutal din of planes hovering around the skies, a convoy of REFUGEES fleeing Marjaayoun (they were asked to evacuate!) has been bombed in the Bekaa valley!!! The days are becoming more fierce and more confusing. Besides not knowing what day it was today, the war is becoming even more insane. I don't know or undestand any of it. Could it be that as things become more INSANE, we become more NUMB? This can never become a way of life. I will never get used to it.



"Don't you remember, Ma, when I went off to war
You thought it was the best thing I could do?
...
Oh, and I thought when I was there, god what am I doing here?
I'm tryin' to kill someone or die tryin'
But the thing that scared me most was when my enemy came close
And I saw that his face looked just like mine
And I couldn't help but think
Through the thunder roll and stink



...That I was just a puppet in a play
And through the roar and smoke
This string is finally broke
And a cannonball blew my eyes away..."

--- Bob Dylan

The epiphany that hit me last night as I read a friend's conclusions on who is to blame is that we are all stuck in this despicable drivel of heightened hyper-realisation and that we are all being fooled; we are tools in a power game that does not care about our interests, that does not care if we have any food or fuel for that matter, if we are blown up, or if we ever see the sun rise again. Terrorism has taken precedence over humanity. Fuel is running out, refugees are running out of places to go, money is running out, as is water and electricity hours are decreasing, patience is running slim, states of well-being are borderline as people think frantically of things to do to Forget...

...and all this for an enemy that is "human" and for forces that shake our worlds and destroy it as if we were mere puppets they created?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home